Friday, February 20, 2009

MOUNTAIN MEADOWS



The thing that I don't quite understand in all of this is how can bible loving, commandment living, God fearing, charitable saints allow their fears and paranoia to commit to such extreme measures. All the collective circumstances were railing against them. Blood atonement, rumors, gossip. revenge, survival, poverty, Indians..... all this had taken its toll...but without much resistance these brethren followed blindly. Surely the love and charitable mercies of their hearts would have prevailed even under extreme circumstances. Although I admire them to some extent... bloodshed is what I don't get. I do understand that many of these saints had first hand witness the Missouri and Nauvoo violence and perhaps lends to some understanding. I also understand when an animal is cornered and the carnal defenses. I just feel bad that dedicated long suffering Saints were caught up and ultimately paid the heavy price for being faithful to their cause. Lee, Higbee, Dame, Klingensmith and Haight and the many others gave so much to the Church and therefore lost so much in the aftermath.


No comments:

Post a Comment